Saturday, August 18, 2007


When I need inspiration to write, I often start by doing a web search for How to WRite a Novel or Write a Novel or some similar keywords. Today, I hit on a post called, "How-To Write Your Novel While You're On the Clock", and it was just the kick I needed to get started this evening. The idea of being able to write my novel while at work is a very attractive one and one of the reasons why I sometimes wish I did have a less challenging job, an office job like being a receptionist or something. Or a computer technician...I'm sure I'd fix all the computers and have hours left to spend doing nada or rather writing. Dreaming, dreaming.

Anyway, I particularly liked how they related what we need to do to what addicts do when trying to quit an addiction. I will paraphrase what they said in the article: Whereas someone trying to stop smoking might pop some gum in their mouth everytime they think about think about having a cigarette, wanna-be novelists need to write everytime they get the urge to *cough* blog or open their browser for any other non-novel writing and thus lame pursuits.

No comments: