By the way, the cutesy image in the last post is from ReadPal, a software that claims to help people read much faster. It will take out all the words of less importance...the articles and stuff that are necessary for correct grammar but not necessary to understanding a sentence. It will columnize (wow, is that a word? 'Cause my spell-checker says no problem) the text too which is supposed to make reading easier (think newspapers). And it will give you one word or sentence at a time (like one of those bleeding psychology tests where they flash images or words at you and measure your reaction in brain wave patterns) and do it at your speed of reading so you don't have to "find the next word and refocus" each time. Anyway, it sounds awesome to me and I'm hoping it really is free to individuals as they claim on their blog. Trying to download it now...stay tuned/keep reading.
Note from Tomorrow: I downloaded the ReadPal. It doesn't seem to show up on my browser (Firefox) and only showed up on the wordprocessor for a short while and then for some reason disappeared. Anyhow, while it was there I did try it out and liked it very very much. I could get used to reading this way...of course, I tried reading my own writing so there wasn't much mystery about what was coming up next...I'd like to try something authored by someone else and nonfiction at that. If I could grasp the general content of the material then I think this banner reader could help train me to stay focused on what I am reading, since it assumes that you are reading the whole time and only gives you enough time to read the number of words on the screen...no daydreaming time. So, in my opinion this isn't a very good method for reading fiction - I like to go back and read passages over a lot (with everything) and to let the writing sink in - but reading something dry this way could really work. Oh, oh, oh! I know just the text...*off she runs*
Saturday, August 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment